Oh, oh, I'm back in the hospital...We love the new gnu...

They were content to stay seated for several hours, occasionally standing when we tossed pellets to other animals.
"Sighting of the Day in the Bush
Young males gnu (wildebeest) have blondish hair on their head so mature males will leave them alone and not fight.  Due to the blond hair, the older males perceive the young males as females and have little interest in harassing them.
Well, folks here's the latest...I am back in the hospital.  The leg infection took a turn for the worst in a period of 48 hours leaving us baffled and worried.

We already had an appointment scheduled with the surgeon for yesterday at 10:15 am.  I was expecting him to say my legs looked better but perhaps prescribing another round of a different antibiotic would be beneficial.
After eating pellets they all needed a nap.
When we took off the bandages, I could tell by the look on his face, he didn't like what he saw and quickly informed us that we needed to see the plastic surgeon.  Most of us non-medical people assume calling a plastic surgeon would be for cosmetic reasons.

Not the case.  Many plastic surgeons have extensive skills and training in "wound" treatments and subsequent healing.  Within 30 minutes from leaving Dr. Naude's office, we were face-to-face with Dr. Noelene Du Plessis in her office at Mediclinic Nelspruit.

In minutes we knew we were in the right place. It took no more than a few a quick look at my legs for her to inform us that I needed to check into the hospital for which could be multiple surgeries and a stay of up to 10 days.  
They don't seem to mind being up close and personal with one another.
She insisted the first surgery would be as soon as I was checked in.  Enough time had passed since I'd last eaten and had something to drink (I had a small cup of unsweetened Greek yogurt before we left the house at 8:00 am and had finished a bottle of water around noon).  

Noelene (doctors go by their first names here) explained that the surgery had to be done "today" most likely transpire around 6:00 pm.  We were nervous and worried.  Tom in his usual manner tried to stay upbeat for me while I, on the other hand, was numb in disbelief. 

How could this be?  I'd done everything right to aid in my recovery but apparently, it wasn't enough. I couldn't think of one reason to blame myself for being in this position.
Two out of three wildebeests posed for the shot.
The only thing I could think of was the fact I'd taken a few showers upon returning to the house after the surgery, only to discover a few days later than the water supply in Marloth Park was toxic with bacteria including e Coli.

Could it be the water on my open wounds was toxic enough to precipitate the infections? The doctors seem to think it was entirely possible.  Once I became aware of this I immediately stopped taking showers and did "sponge baths" with bottled water which although messy worked out fine.

Eventually, the water quality improved but I still avoided the shower with the wounds not healing properly.  Thus, in the past few weeks, the infection raged on while I took strong doses of antibiotics the doctors prescribed.  I sent photos of my legs for days and still they agreed I could be treated at home until a few days ago, it took a turn for the worse.
Lounging in the garden after a hearty midday snack.
Last night at 1730 hours (5:30 pm) I was wheeled into "theatre" for what may have been the first of two or three surgeries over the next 10 days or so.  As I write here now in my private room Tom has gone to check back into  Leaves Lodge and Spa where he stayed weeks ago.

He'd considered driving back and forth but after driving back in the dark last night, he reconsidered and is staying only minutes away from me during whatever time is necessary for me to get through this difficult phase.

Tomorrow, we'll be back with some of the obstacles we encountered checking me into the hospital including some nagging insurance issues.  Please check back for more.

Be well.  Be happy.  Thanks for being "here" with us during this challenging time.
Photo from one year ago today, March 30, 2018:
On the way to the petrol station. For more details, please click here.


Michelle Burger said...

I have been worried about you when I didn't a post yesterday or this morning right away. Prayers for quick healing and wisdom for the doctors treating you!

Anonymous said...

Bad news… We hope your stay in hospital will solve your problems so you can enjoy your stay in Marloth Park for your last weeks. Again we wish you a speedy recovery!
Rina & Cees

Jessica said...

Rina and Cees, you two are amazing in how thoughtfully you're checking in with me. It is so appreciated. I'm confident this will all be behind me before too long. Hope you both are well and content.
Much Love,
Jess & Tom

Jessica said...

Michelle, thank you darling for your thoughtful comment. Your prayers mean so much to both of us. We're are confident we'll get through this soon.

Much love, always,
Jess & Tom

Post a Comment